The vibrant sounds of the block party gradually soften into a warm, rhythmic hum as the clock ticks toward midnight. Most of the crowds have dispersed, leaving behind empty plates, happy bellies, and a neighborhood wrapped in the cozy contentment of a shared celebration. The August night air finally carries a hint of a cool breeze, rustling the colorful silk lanterns strung across Section 4B.
Linh stands by the main banquet table, her clipboard dangling loosely from her fingers. For the first time all week, she is not checking off a single box.
"You look deep in thought, Sheriff," Long says, stepping into the booth. He holds two small paper cups of iced jasmine tea, handing one to her. "Are you secretly calculating the cleanup logistics, or are you actually enjoying yourself?"
Linh accepts the cup, the cool condensation a welcome relief against her palms. "I am actually enjoying myself. And for the record, the cleanup crew is ahead of schedule."
Long chuckles, leaning his hip against the edge of the wooden table. "Of course they are. I'd expect nothing less from a festival run by Linh."
"I mean it, Long," Linh says, turning to face him. The glowing red and gold light from the lanterns casts soft shadows across his face, highlighting the genuine warmth in his eyes. "Tonight would have been an absolute train wreck without you. You taught me that you can't control every single detail. Sometimes, you just have to trust the people around you."
"And you taught me that a little structure isn't a bad thing," Long replies softly. He sets his tea down and pulls a small, neatly folded piece of paper from his pocket, handing it to her. "Look at this. No wrinkles."
Linh opens it to find a perfectly mapped schedule for his next travel assignment, complete with color-coded transit times. She lets out a bright, genuine laugh. "I am incredibly proud of you. Is this your way of telling me you're leaving again?"
Long’s smile fades into something much more earnest. He steps closer, closing the distance between them until Linh can smell the faint trace of the citrus cologne he wore for the festival.
"Actually, it's my way of showing you I can plan ahead," Long murmurs, looking down at her. "I realized something tonight while we were rushing around feeding the neighborhood. I've spent years traveling the world looking for great stories, but the best story I've found all year is right here. In front of me."
Linh’s breath hitches. The playful banter that defined their entire week suddenly evaporates, replaced by a charged, sweet silence. Above them, a stray sprig of green leaves from a neighborhood floral display hangs from the lantern string, mimicking a makeshift summer mistletoe.
"Is that a travel writer's pitch, Long?" Linh asks, her voice barely a whisper as a thrill sweeps through her.
"It's a promise," Long says. He reaches out, his fingers gently brushing a stray lock of hair behind her ear. "I'm staying in town for a while. If the event planner has room in her schedule for a chaotic writer."
"I think I can clear a slot," Linh smiles.
Long leans down, and as his lips meet hers, the remaining festive lanterns flicker in the breeze. The kiss is sweet, warm, and entirely unscripted—the perfect conclusion to a festival built on making space for the unexpected. Linh realizes the ultimate holiday moral: when you open your heart to the wandering souls of the world, you just might find the one you were meant to welcome home all along.