The kitchen was quiet as the kettle began its low, familiar whistle on the stove. I poured the hot water into a mug, the steam rising up to blur my glasses, much like the dust from the notebooks had done an hour earlier. I carried the tea back to the living room, but instead of sitting on the couch, I found myself drawn right back to the closet door.
Memory is a funny thing; it doesn’t leave you alone once you give it an inch.
I opened the door again and picked up the red leather journal from 2006 that was resting right beneath the amplifier cord. I hadn’t looked at the very last page. I flipped past the entries about Miller’s sister’s wedding, past the garage cleanup with my dad, until I hit the flyleaf at the very back.
There, tucked into the small paper pocket built into the leather, was a folded piece of yellow legal pad paper.
I unfolded it carefully on the kitchen counter. It was written in my father’s blocky, engineer’s print, dated the morning I left for my first corporate job out of state. He must have slipped it in there while helping me pack my trunk.
Son,
Your mother thinks you’re forgetting where you came from because you bought those fancy new suits. I told her a suit is just a uniform, like my coveralls at the plant. It doesn’t change what’s underneath. Don't worry about looking back too much right now. You've got a lot of road ahead of you. Just make sure that wherever you park the car, you remember who taught you how to drive it. We’re proud of you. Let us know when you hit the state line.
— Dad
Your mother thinks you’re forgetting where you came from because you bought those fancy new suits. I told her a suit is just a uniform, like my coveralls at the plant. It doesn’t change what’s underneath. Don't worry about looking back too much right now. You've got a lot of road ahead of you. Just make sure that wherever you park the car, you remember who taught you how to drive it. We’re proud of you. Let us know when you hit the state line.
— Dad
I leaned against the counter, swallowing hard against a sudden lump in my throat. Twenty-four-year-old me had probably read that note once, smiled, and shoved it away, eager to conquer the corporate ladder. Forty-year-old me read it and realized it was the most elegant piece of advice I had ever received.
My phone buzzed on the counter next to the paper, vibrating against the laminate.
Miller: Hey, I just checked. I actually have a cassette tape of that block party set. My dad recorded it on a handheld dictation machine from his office.
Me: No way. Does it actually have audio, or is it just wind noise?
Denny: It's mostly Miller’s bass clipping, but you can hear the crowd. All twelve of them.
Miller: I’m going to digitalize it this weekend. I’ll send you the MP3.
Me: No way. Does it actually have audio, or is it just wind noise?
Denny: It's mostly Miller’s bass clipping, but you can hear the crowd. All twelve of them.
Miller: I’m going to digitalize it this weekend. I’ll send you the MP3.
I stared at the screen. A recording of The Static, preserved on a tiny magnetic ribbon inside a plastic shell, about to be converted into ones and zeros and sent across space. We spend so much of our adulthoods believing that our childhoods are completely gone, evaporated into the atmosphere like smoke from a summer barbecue. But the truth is, the past leaves crumbs. A ticket stub, an old cord, a cassette tape in an attic, a note from a father who just wanted his son to drive safe.
I picked up my tea and took a sip, looking out at the darkened street. The neighbor's garage door closed with that same familiar, distant rumble I had heard a thousand times on Elm Street.
The boy in the 1993 diary had been terrified of Sarah looking at the astronaut poster instead of him. The boy in 1996 had hands too big for his skin. The young man in 2002 had been too proud to see his friend's sacrifice. But all of them were sitting right here with me in the quiet of the kitchen, drinking tea, listening to the phone buzz, and waiting for the music to start playing again.