28 Jun 2026

The Garage Corner Blog: The Automated Customer Service Loop

Hey folks, welcome back to the Garage Corner.

I had a simple question about my homeowner's insurance policy on Thursday morning. Just a quick, five-minute clerical question about a premium update. So, I dialed the toll-free number printed on the back of my card, expecting to hear the friendly voice of a receptionist.
Instead, I was greeted by a smooth, digital voice that said, "Hello! I am your virtual assistant. Please describe your issue in a few short words."
I said, "I need to speak to an agent about my premium."
The machine paused, whirred, and responded, "I think you said you want to pay your bill. Is that correct?" No. "I'm sorry, I didn't catch that. Did you mean you want to report a claim?" No.
Whatever happened to just talking to a real human being?
We have entered a dystopian era of customer service where multi-billion-dollar corporations treat their actual clients like a nuisance. They hide behind a digital fortress of interactive voice response loops, automated menus, and artificial intelligence chatbots. They have carefully engineered a system designed to tire you out, frustrate you, and make you hang up the phone so they don't have to pay a living person to answer your call.
It is an absolute test of sanity. You find yourself sitting at your kitchen table, shouting single words into a plastic rectangle like a lunatic. "REPRESENTATIVE! AGENT! HUMAN!" You start mashing the "0" button on your keypad over and over again, hoping to short-circuit the mainframe, only for the robotic voice to calmly say, "That is an invalid entry. Goodbye." Then it clicks, and you're disconnected.
It’s an insult to our intelligence. They tell us these automated systems are for "efficiency" and to "serve us better." But it’s not about serving you; it’s about cutting corporate overhead. They want your money every single month on autopilot, but the moment you need five minutes of human attention, you’re stuck navigating a maze built by a programmer who has never held a job outside a cubicle.
Our fathers and grandfathers wouldn't have stood for this. When they did business, it was personal. You walked into the local office on Main Street, sat across a wooden desk from a guy named George, and talked through your policy over a cup of coffee. If you had a problem, George picked up his desk phone, made a call, and fixed it. There was a handshake, accountability, and a relationship.
When you strip humanity out of commerce, you strip away trust. A computer script doesn't care about your house, your business, or your family's safety. It only cares about syntax and data fields.
So here is my advice: next time you are shopping around for insurance, a bank, or a service provider, don't just look at the lowest quote online. Call their customer service number first. If a real, live human being answers the phone within three rings, give that company your business. Let’s start rewarding the businesses that actually respect our time, and let's starve the automated machines out of existence.
Until next time, speak your mind, push for a human, and keep your connections real.