The Scottish Highlands were a masterclass in monochrome, a vast expanse of rolling purple heather swallowed by a thick, clinging blanket of white mist.
Inside our rented camper van, however, the atmosphere was a sanctuary of yellow light and the rich, buttery scent of baking shortbread. I had a tray of homemade Petticoat Tails cooling on a wire rack over the tiny gas stove, the sweet aroma fighting a valiant battle against the damp smell of wet wool coats. Across the narrow built-in booth, Dr. Veronica Vance was staring so intensely at her dual monitors that I was surprised the pixels hadn't melted. Her tortoiseshell glasses were perched right on the tip of her nose.
"The Fibonacci sequence from the Maine sea cave didn't map to a geographic location, Gregg," she muttered, her fingers tapping a frantic rhythm on the table. "It mapped to a frequency. When I cross-referenced that acoustic signature with historical satellite data, the global baseline spiked right here. In the middle of the Black Isle peninsula. At a site known locally as the Clootie Well."
"Ah, the healing well," I said, lifting the shortbread tray with a tea towel and setting it between us. "For thousands of years, people have been tying rags—cloots—to the tree branches around the spring. They say as the rag rots away, your illness disappears. It's a place of old, deep magic, Veronica."
She let out a sharp, dismissive puff of air, though her hand automatically reached out and pinched a warm piece of shortbread. "It's a place of iron-rich mineral springs and heavy fungal spores, Gregg. If the water has an unusually high concentration of lithium or specific neuro-protective compounds, it would naturally alleviate symptoms of chronic illness. It's chemistry, not witchcraft."
"Chemistry doesn't explain why the rags on the trees have been documented glowing with static electricity during a new moon," I pointed out, leaning across the small table. "The local shepherds say the trees themselves look like they're breathing."
Veronica chewed the shortbread, her eyes widening slightly as the butter and sugar hit her system. She pointed a finger at me. "The pastry is... incredibly comforting. But your 'breathing trees' are an optical illusion caused by the dense fog moving through the low branches. We go out to the well at midnight. I've calibrated the localized mass spectrometer to scan the soil for anomalous radiation."
"Midnight? Naturally," I grinned, checking my watch. "That gives us exactly two hours to argue about whether the Pictish standing stones down the road are ancient territorial markers or a prehistoric wifi network."
"They're territorial markers, Gregg. The Ogham inscriptions are quite explicit."
"They're a network, Veronica. My gut says the whole ridge is connected."
"Your gut is currently fueled entirely by butter and stubbornness," she countered, though a familiar, teasing warmth softened her green eyes.
Since the Maine coast, a quiet shift had settled over us. We were still the 'Weirdo Brigade,' still bickering over thermal gradients and cryptid lore, but the space between us had grown smaller. When the camper van rocked slightly from a sudden gust of Highland wind, Veronica didn't flinch. She just reached across the table, her thumb gently brushing a stray grain of sugar off my knuckle before resting her hand in mine.
"The bureau called while you were checking the propane tank," she said softly, her tone turning serious. "They want the raw data from the sea cave. They're sending a retrieval team to our next check-in point."
I squeezed her hand, looking out the dark window where the mist pressed flat against the glass. "They want to weaponize the frequency, or lock it in a basement. What did you tell them?"
"I told them the file was corrupted by a localized magnetic anomaly," she said, a brilliant, defiant smile breaking across her face. "I told them science is a process of trial and error."
"That's my girl," I laughed, my heart swelling with something far warmer than the gas heater could ever produce. "Anarchy looks good on you, Dr. Vance."
"Don't get used to it," she warned, though she didn't let go of my hand. "If we're going to trick a federal agency and hunt a sentient mineral spring in the pitch black, I'm going to need another piece of that shortbread."
"Take the whole tray, partner," I said, pulling our jackets off the hooks as the dashboard clock ticked closer to midnight. "Let's go make some trouble."