Continuing our new story about the lives of a group of glamour models in the 1980s. In this chapter, Michelle mentors Debbie through her first major public appearance, witnessing the overwhelming dark side of sudden tabloid fame. An unexpected betrayal from the paper's top photographer leaves Vanessa questioning her entire future in the industry.
The glamorous launch party for The Daily Globe's autumn campaign was held at a penthouse suite in Mayfair. The room was packed with minor TV celebrities, wealthy pop stars, and slick advertising executives. Trays of cheap champagne circulated endlessly under the glittering chandeliers.
Michelle stood near the balcony doors, keeping a watchful eye on Debbie. The new girl was already tipsy, surrounded by a predatory pack of older executives who were laughing too loudly at her simple jokes. Michelle remembered being that vulnerable, believing every empty promise whispered to her in a room filled with free alcohol.
"Go easy on the bubbly, love," Michelle whispered, smoothly stepping between Debbie and a slick marketing director. She handed the newcomer a glass of orange juice. "You’ve got a live television interview at eight tomorrow morning. You don't want to be hungover for that."
"I'm fine, Michelle!" Debbie giggled, her cheeks flushed bright pink. "Mr. Finch said I’m a natural. He told me I’m going to be the biggest star the country has seen since Twiggy."
"Finch says that to everyone he signs, Debbie," Michelle said, her tone gentle but completely honest. "Just look after yourself. Don't sign anything without showing a lawyer first. Especially not the long-term exclusivity contracts."
Across the crowded room, Vanessa stood by the bar, watching the scene unfold with a heavy heart. She felt completely invisible tonight. The photographers who used to trip over themselves to take her picture were now crowding around Debbie, their flashes blinding the room.
Terry walked over to Vanessa, holding two fresh glasses of champagne. He looked surprisingly uncomfortable. "Alright, Van?"
"I've been better, Terry," Vanessa said, taking a glass and drinking it down quickly. "Finch told me tonight that they're shifting my work to the Sunday supplements. Less money, less visibility. He said the readers want 'fresher energy' now."
Terry sighed, looking away toward the bright flashing lights. "It’s a fast-moving game, Van. I tried to tell him you've still got the best look in the business, but the numbers don't lie. The newer faces sell more papers to the lads."
"I gave this paper years of my life, Terry," Vanessa said, her voice dropping to a fierce, quiet whisper that cut through the loud party music. "I smiled through the freezing winters, the sleazy pageants, and the creepy fans following me home. I did everything they asked of me."
"I know, love," Terry said softly, looking genuinely sorry. "But the ink dries fast on Fleet Street. Once you're off the page, you're just yesterday's news."
Vanessa looked across the room at Debbie, who was laughing happily, completely unaware of the short shelf-life of tabloid fame. Vanessa set her glass down on the bar with a firm click, her mind suddenly made up. "Not to me," Vanessa whispered to herself. "I'm not yesterday's news just yet."
The Daily Front has been developed using AI tools.