20 Jun 2026

Chasing Shadows in the Static - Chapter 2: The Symphony of the Static

 

The afternoon sun shifted, throwing a long, golden rectangle across the floorboards. The blue notebook from 1993 felt lighter now, its secrets partially surrendered. I closed it with a soft puff of dust and reached into the box for the next one. It was a green spiral notebook from 1996, the cover decorated with a silver Sharpie drawing of an electric guitar that looked more like an oversized shovel.
This was the year my voice broke, my parents finally stopped making me get a buzz cut, and the world expanded beyond the handlebars of my bicycle.
I flipped open the cover. The pages were torn at the edges, worn down by the frantic erasing of a teenager who cared entirely too much about what he left behind.
November 12th. The garage is freezing, but Miller brought over his brother’s old amp. We plugged it in, and the whole house shook. Dad came out yelling, but then he just stood by the lawnmower and watched us play. He said we sounded like a lawnmower with a loose belt. We call ourselves The Static. It’s a good name because nobody can hear what we’re trying to say anyway.
I laughed out loud, the sound bouncing off the empty walls of my adult home. The Static. We had truly believed we were the vanguard of a musical revolution, despite the fact that none of us actually knew how to tune our instruments. Miller played a bass with only three strings. I played a cheap stratocaster knockoff that bit into my fingers, and Denny sat behind a drum kit held together largely by duct tape and prayers.
We practiced in the dead of winter, our breath rising in pale plumes under the flickering fluorescent light of Miller’s garage. We were loud, we were sloppy, and we were absolutely magnificent.
What I didn't write in the diary, but what the memory brought back with agonizing clarity, was why we played. We played because everything else in 1996 felt like a negotiation we were losing. High school was a foreign country with laws we didn't understand. The girls we had grown up playing freeze-tag with had suddenly transformed into sophisticated, unattainable beings who spoke in codes. The teachers were no longer guides; they were gatekeepers holding the keys to a future that felt terrifyingly close.
When we plugged in those amplifiers, all that noise went away. Or rather, our noise became louder than the world's noise.
I turned the page, the cheap blue ink fading into grey.
December 4th. Sarah sent a postcard from Cincinnati. There’s a picture of a giant pig on it. She says she hates her new school and the kids wear shoes without socks. She asked if we were still playing in the garage. I wanted to call her, but the phone is in the kitchen and Mom was making dinner. I don't know what I'd say anyway. My hands feel too big for everything.
I stared at that line for a long time. My hands feel too big for everything.
It was the universal anthem of fifteen. You grow into your limbs before you grow into your skin. You are caught in that awkward, painful limbo where you are too old to cry when you fall, but too young to know how to fix what hurts. I remembered the kitchen phone—the long, tangled yellow cord that you could stretch all the way into the pantry if you wanted five minutes of semi-privacy. I had stood in that pantry for twenty minutes that night, staring at the cereal boxes, holding the receiver until the dial tone turned into that angry, rhythmic buzzing.
I never dialed the number. I didn't have the words yet.
A loose sheet of lined paper fell out from the back of the notebook. It was a setlist written in Miller's blocky handwriting. We had played exactly one gig. It wasn't at a club or a high school dance. It was at the annual block party on Oak Street, right between Mrs. Gable’s zucchini display and the neighborhood association's raffle table.
We played for fourteen minutes before the power cord was pulled by an angry parent. But for those fourteen minutes, under a hazy August sky with the smell of charcoal smoke in the air, we were rock stars. Denny hit the drums so hard his knuckles bled. Miller screamed into a microphone that wasn't plugged in. And I played a three-chord solo that felt like tearing open the sky.
Looking at the setlist now, forty years old with a mortgage and a bad knee, I realized something the fifteen-year-old boy couldn't. We weren't trying to be famous. We were just trying to leave a mark. We wanted to scream into the suburban quiet and hear an echo back, just to prove we were there.
I folded the setlist carefully and tucked it back into the green spiral. The house outside was quiet now, the neighborhood settling into the evening routine of dinner timers and garage doors closing.
I reached back into the cardboard box. There were four notebooks left.