The Maine coast was putting on a spectacular show of gray fog and crashing waves, but the interior of the abandoned keeper’s quarters was entirely salvaged by a roaring cast-iron stove.
I carefully unboxed two massive lobster rolls from the local harbor shack, the brioche buns toasted to a perfect golden brown and overflowing with meat drenched in warm butter. Across the cramped wooden table, Dr. Veronica Vance was adjusting a tripod mounted with a low-frequency acoustic hydrophone. She hadn't changed out of her oversized yellow fisherman's slicker yet, and her tortoiseshell glasses were dotted with tiny beads of Atlantic saltwater.
"The audio feedback from the cove is completely anomalous, Gregg," she said, her voice dropping into that intense, analytical rhythm I knew by heart. "Lighthouses don't emit a subterranean acoustic hum at seventeen hertz. That’s low enough to cause minor visual hallucinations and acute anxiety in humans, which explains why the last three keepers resigned within a month."
"Veronica, the town doesn't call it an acoustic hum. They call it the Siren of Owls Head," I said, sliding the heavier lobster roll toward her. "For a hundred and fifty years, whenever the fog rolls in like this, ships report hearing a melodic, multi-tonal vocalization coming from the rocky shoals. Not a machine. A voice."
She paused, looking down at the buttery lobster roll, then back at me. A subtle, soft shift occurred in her expression—the kind of look she only gave me now that we had crossed a definitive line in the Swiss Alps. "A vocalization requires vocal cords, Gregg. Or at least a highly specialized marine mammal. A 'siren' is a mythological construct used to explain away navigational errors caused by poor visibility."
"Minke whales don't hum in a haunting, minor-key chord progression," I replied, taking a bite of my roll. "But my gut told me you'd be too stubborn to admit that until you ate. Taste the lobster. It's eighty percent butter."
She picked up the roll, taking a delicate but enthusiastic bite. A tiny drop of warm butter threatened to escape onto her notebook, but I caught it with a napkin just in time, my thumb brushing lightly against her chin. Veronica caught my gaze, her green eyes softening as she swallowed.
"The culinary execution is... mathematically flawless," she admitted, a faint blush warming her cheeks. "But your cryptid hypothesis still lacks empirical rigor."
"Maybe," I smiled, leaning forward. "But my instincts also got us the only room in town with a working wood stove and a view of the stormy Atlantic. How's the anxiety level from that seventeen-hertz hum now?"
"Negligible," she murmured, her fingers briefly tangling with mine on the edge of the table before she reluctantly pulled back to check her monitors. "Though the signal strength just tripled. Look at the waveform."
I leaned over her shoulder, the familiar scent of her vanilla lip balm and sea salt washing over me. On the screen, the audio feed wasn't a flat line or a jagged static spikes. It was a beautiful, undulating series of perfect concentric curves, pulsing rhythmically through the deep water beneath the cliffs. It sounded like a distant, underwater pipe organ playing a lonely, beautiful lullaby.
"It's changing," Veronica whispered, her scientific detachment melting into genuine wonder. "It’s modulating in response to the tide. It's... it's almost beautiful."
"See? Even a scientist can hear a song if she listens closely enough," I said quietly, resting my hand on the back of her chair.
Veronica turned her head, our faces only inches apart in the cozy, dim light of the keeper's quarters. Outside, the fog pressed thick against the glass, isolating us from the rest of the world. Inside, the fire crackled, the butter melted, and the mysterious siren song of the coast hummed softly beneath our feet.
"I'm listening, Gregg," she said softly, reaching up to rest her hand over mine. "I'm always listening."