18 Jun 2026

A Double Winter Engagement

The thunderous departure of Lady Catherine de Bourgh’s carriage left an astonished silence in the Longbourn entrance hall. Mrs Bennet, who had been shamelessly press-pressing her ear against the breakfast parlour door, stumbled backward into the arms of a startled Kitty as the heavy oak door swung wide.

Darcy and Elizabeth emerged hand-in-hand, their faces bright with a shared understanding that needed no explanation. Mrs Bennet gasped, her eyes darting from their clasped hands to Darcy’s resolute expression, her usual chatter utterly failing her.
“Mrs Bennet,” Darcy said, his tone perfectly polite yet carrying the weight of his grand estate. “I must request the honor of a private audience with Mr Bennet in his library.”
“The library? Yes! Of course, Mr Darcy! Right away, sir!” Mrs Bennet cried, her voice ascending three octaves in her frantic excitement. She practically shoved Darcy down the corridor, whispering furiously to Kitty to fetch the good sherry.
Inside the quiet sanctuary of the library, Mr Bennet sat by a dying fire, a volume of swift satire open on his lap. He looked up as Darcy entered, noting the young man’s earnest posture.
“Mr Darcy,” Mr Bennet said, tilting his head. “I understand my breakfast parlour has just survived a hurricane from Kent. I trust you are here to offer an apology for your aunt’s rather loud driving?”
“I am here for a much weightier matter, Mr Bennet,” Darcy replied, stepping forward. “I love your daughter Elizabeth. I have loved her for many months, despite my own foolish pride. I ask for your consent to make her my wife.”
Mr Bennet fell entirely silent. He set his book down, his gaze shifting to the window where the afternoon sun was melting the frost into long, glittering teardrops. He knew his Lizzy; he knew her sharp mind and her fierce independence.
“Does Elizabeth know of this request?” Mr Bennet asked softly. “She has always maintained a rather… energetic dislike of your character, sir.”
“She has done me the immense honor of changing her mind,” Darcy said, a rare, boyish smile breaking across his face.
Mr Bennet called for Elizabeth. When she entered, her eyes shining with absolute certainty, her father looked searchingly into her face. “Lizzy, child, are you quite certain? This is a man of great wealth, but can he make you happy? Will you respect him?”
“I respect him above all others, Papa,” Elizabeth said, stepping to Darcy’s side. “He has shown me that true nobility is found in kindness, not just in a proud name.”
Mr Bennet smiled, a rare warmth in his eyes as he stood to join their hands. “Then you have my blessing. Though I confess, I do not know how I shall tolerate the peace of this house without my two cleverest daughters to laugh with.”
By nightfall, the Longbourn drawing room was transformed by a double celebration. Charles Bingley had arrived from Netherfield, having finally gathered the courage to secure his own formal engagement to Jane. The room buzzed with Mrs Bennet’s ecstatic, high-pitched calculations of pin-money, carriages, and wedding clothes, while Lydia and Kitty loudly debated the merits of white lace versus silver embroidery.
In the quiet alcove near the pianoforte, away from the family's cheerful chaos, Elizabeth and Jane sat close together, their hands intertwined.
“To think, Lizzy,” Jane whispered, looking across the room to where Bingley and Darcy were engaged in a warm, brotherly conversation. “Only a week ago, we were rescuing Mr Hurst from a frozen duck pond, entirely unaware of how the year would turn.”
“It only proves, dearest Jane, that winter carries the most unexpected seeds of spring,” Elizabeth replied merrily.
Darcy approached them, carrying two fresh glasses of spiced wine. He offered one to Elizabeth, his eyes holding hers with a steady, enduring warmth that promised a lifetime of shared laughter and mutual respect.
A parent's truest joy is found not in the worldly wealth of a match, but in the wealth of mutual respect between two hearts. When pride is conquered and prejudice is laid bare, the coldest winter evening can become the threshold of a lifetime of shared warmth.