The first week of January brought a biting, crystalline cold to Hertfordshire, freezing the muddy ruts of the Meryton road into ribbons of iron. At Longbourn, the post-New Year tranquility was abruptly shattered by the thunderous arrival of a heavy, dark carriage bearing a coat of arms that Elizabeth recognized with a sudden, sinking heart.
“Good heavens, look at those horses!” Mrs Bennet shrieked from the drawing-room window, nearly dropping her teacup. “It must be a person of the highest consequence! Jane, Lizzy, smooth your hair!”
The front door had barely swung open before Lady Catherine de Bourgh swept into the house, her voluminous sable furs tracking snow across the clean hall rug. She looked around the Longbourn parlour with an expression of profound disapproval, her sharp eyes taking in the modest furnishings, the roaring fire, and Mrs Bennet’s overly obsequious curtsy.
“Mrs Bennet, I presume,” Lady Catherine barked, ignoring the offered chair. “I am here on a matter of the utmost urgency, and I require the immediate, private attention of your daughter, Elizabeth.”
Elizabeth stepped forward, her posture straight and her expression remarkably calm despite the sudden racing of her pulse. “I am here, Lady Catherine. We may speak in the breakfast parlour; there is a fire there.”
Without waiting for an invitation, the grand lady marched into the adjacent room. She did not sit, but turned upon Elizabeth like a hawk preparing to strike. Outside the window, the winter sun struck the icicles hanging from the eaves, casting sharp, dagger-like shadows across the floor.
“Miss Bennet,” Lady Catherine began, her voice trembling with aristocratic fury. “A report of a most alarming nature has reached me in Kent. I was told that you, a young woman of inferior birth and no fortune, have been using the festive season to entrap my nephew, Fitzwilliam Darcy. I am told you have been seen dragging gentlemen from ponds and whispering in window recesses at midnight!”
Elizabeth could not help the small, defiant smile that touched her lips. “Your informants have been remarkably thorough, Lady Catherine, though their choice of vocabulary is somewhat dramatic. I assure you, no trapping has occurred.”
“Do not trifles with me, girl!” the lady countered, slamming her heavy walking stick against the floorboard. “Mr Darcy is engaged to my daughter, Anne! Their union was the dearest wish of his late mother. It will not be derailed by a country miss with mud on her petticoats! I demand to know—has he made you an offer of marriage?”
“If he had,” Elizabeth replied smoothly, her dark eyes flashing with dangerous brilliance, “I should certainly not be at liberty to declare it to a lady who chooses to interrogate me in my own home.”
Before Lady Catherine could erupt into a full tirade, the door to the breakfast parlour swung open. Darcy stood in the entryway, his riding coat dusted with snow and his expression carved from granite. He had ridden hard from Netherfield the moment he saw his aunt’s carriage pass through the village.
“Aunt Catherine,” Darcy said, his deep voice carrying a chilling authority that stunned the older woman into temporary silence. “Your presence in Hertfordshire is entirely unexpected. Your presence in this house, insulting Miss Elizabeth, is entirely intolerable.”
Lady Catherine gasped, drawing her furs tightly around her. “Darcy! You dare speak to me thus? I am defending the honor of your family! This girl has no regard for your station, your duties, or the expectations of your circle!”
Darcy stepped into the room, moving deliberately to stand at Elizabeth’s side. He did not look at his aunt; his eyes were fixed entirely on Elizabeth, his expression filled with a fierce, protective devotion.
“My circle, Aunt Catherine, is entirely of my own choosing,” Darcy said softly, though every word echoed clearly in the quiet room. “And I have never found anyone within it more noble, more courageous, or more entirely essential to my happiness than the lady standing beside me.”
He turned back to his aunt, his posture unyielding. “I must ask you to leave Longbourn. Your carriage is waiting, and the horses will catch a chill in this weather.”
Lady Catherine choked on her indignation, realizing she had utterly lost her grip on her nephew. With a dramatic rustle of silk and fur, she marched past them, vowing never to speak to Darcy again, and slammed the front door behind her, leaving a profound, ringing silence in her wake.
Elizabeth looked up at Darcy, a breath slipping from her lips that she hadn't realized she was holding. “You are remarkably efficient at dismissing formidable aunts, Mr Darcy.”
Darcy took both of her hands in his, his fingers warm against the winter chill. “I would dismiss an army of them, Elizabeth, if it meant ensuring your peace. My feelings have not changed since the dawn of the New Year. In truth, they have only grown warmer.”
Elizabeth smiled, her eyes bright with a joy that thawed the remaining winter frost. “Then I suppose we must prepare ourselves for a very busy spring.”
The bitterest winds of external disapproval and the heaviest storms of arrogance are entirely powerless against the warmth of genuine affection. When two hearts are united in mutual respect and shared truth, the cold judgments of the world can neither shake their foundation nor delay the arrival of their spring.